Re: [XHR2] overrideMimeType in state UNSENT

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 09:30:32 -0800, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 9, 2011, Andrew Oakley <andrew@ado.is-a-geek.net>
> wrote:
>> It seems fairly common to call overrideMimeType before open(), but
>> should throw an InvalidStateError according to current XHR2 editors
>> draft.
>>
>> If you search (Google) for overrideMimeType a significant number of
>> first page results show calling of overrideMimeType before the open
>> call, so I imagine this will become increasingly common as people
>> copy+paste.
>>
>> I don't think this is a particularly problematic thing to allow so can
>> we please update the spec to allow this?
>
> And for the sake of consistency and ease of use, we should allow setting
> .responseType at that time too.

Currently open() resets a bunch of a state. If we are going to allow
setting state before open() is invoked we should rethink how open() ought
to work. I.e. what it resets and what should be kept as before.

If we change this it makes sense to change withCredentials and timeout too
I would say. What about setRequestHeader()?

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/