From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:12:38 -0400
To: public-webapps@w3.org
On 10/20/11 6:50 AM, Alex Russell wrote:
>> Oh, and as a separate issue. I think .findAll should return a plain
>> old JS Array. Not a NodeList or any other type of host object.
>
> I strongly agree that it should be an Array *type*, but I think just
> returning a plain Array is the wrong resolution to our NodeList
> problem. WebIDL should specify that DOM List types *are* Array types.

You missed the point of Jonas's suggestion.

DOM NodeLists are not mutable via direct manipulation of indexed
properties.  Jonas is saying that we want the return value here to be
thus mutable.

Making all DOM NodeLists mutable won't really work because a bunch of
them are live; there's no sane way to combine liveness and mutability.

The non-live lists (e.g. the one involved here) could be made mutable,
but then why make then nodelists at all?  What's the point?

> It's insane that we even have a NodeList type which isn't a real array
> at all.

It's not at all insane for the live lists.  See previous discussion
about this.

I think any solution here that tries to treat live and non-live lists
identically is doomed to failure.

-Boris