Re: [indexeddb] New WebIDL Exception Model for IndexedDB

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 02:56:55 +0200, Israel Hilerio <israelh@microsoft.com>
wrote:
> On Friday, September 30, 2011 12:23 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> Actually, given
>> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#concept-throw
>> it does. Which is what I was trying to convey. HTML does this too now:
>> http://html5.org/r/6602
>
> The DOM 4 spec link you sent us is exactly the approach we’re following
> but with a simpler language.  Instead of defining what it means to throw
> a type as an exception (like you do on DOM 4), we’re following the
> WebIDL spec to define the exception type in a simpler fashion.  Look at
> the note contained in the WebIDL spec under IDL Exceptions where it says
> there is no IDL syntax for declaring exception types:
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#idl-exceptions
>
> We believe it is simpler and closer to the intent on the WebIDL spec to
> say: Throws a DOMException of type " VersionError".

It's also wrong, since it does not say what code will be.

> Instead of having to explain what it means to throw a type as an
> exception:
> To throw a “VersionError” exception, a user agent would construct a
> DOMException exception whose type is " VersionError " and code exception
> field value is 0, and actually throw that object as an exception.

It seems you misunderstood DOM4. All you need to say is:

# Throw a "VersionError" exception

That is it. The DOM4 definition of "throw" handles the details, such as
setting message and code.

> This discussion shows that the review process can catch these types of
> issues and reviewers like yourself can make us aware of exceptions we
> should reuse.  Even if it didn’t, the worst case scenario is that a
> developer would have similar Exceptions that have slightly different
> types and names.  Each name or type should be meaningful enough for the
> developer to allow them to disambiguate.  The main point is that we
> don’t believe we should over engineer a solution to a problem that is
> not pervasive at this point.
>
> We could even add a note to the DOM 4 spec that states, "We encourage
> the reuse of these exceptions instead of defining new ones.  Only define
> new ones if the current set of exceptions doesn’t meet your needs."

I guess I don't really see what you think the problem is with keeping a
non-normative table in DOM4 (or elsewhere) listing the exceptions in use.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/