Re: before/after editaction

From: Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 12:47:21 +0300
To: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org>
CC: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@chromium.org>, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan@mozilla.com>, Annie Sullivan <sullivan@chromium.org>, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
On 08/31/2011 02:00 AM, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> During the very constructive meeting in Toronto
> <http://ehsanakhgari.org/blog/2011-08-31/future-editing-web>, we came to
> a conclusion that we want events that fire before after user editing
> action and execCommand take place.  Let us call these events
> beforeEditAction and afterEditAction respectively.
>
>  From Ehsan's blog:
>
>     The beforeeditaction event would fire before the browser initiates
>     handling of an editing command.  It would be cancelable, so that web
>     applications which do not want certain commands enabled can just
>     cancel the respective events.  The aftereditaction event would fire
>     when the browser is done performing the editing action.  This event
>     will provide semantic information about the editing operation
>     performed, and will allow web content to alter the DOM generated as
>     a result of the editing action.  Think of a web application which
>     wants to use strong tags instead of b tags for bold text generated
>     by the bold command.  With aftereditaction, the web application can
>     just fix up the DOM after the browser has modified it to
>     use strong tags.
>

> Can we add these events?

What happens if beforeeditaction tears down the document, or
changes the document significantly or closes the window etc.
(Those a generic problems with before* events)