Re: Fwd: Re: CfC: new WD of Clipboard API and Events; deadline April 5

From: Hallvord R. M. Steen <hallvord@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 09:43:10 +0200
To: "Glenn Maynard" <glenn@zewt.org>
Cc: rniwa@webkit.org, "WebApps WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>
On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 02:08:04 +0200, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

>> use a browser that doesn't support these events, or
>> a browser that lets you disable them (perhaps on a per-site basis), or a
>> browser that supports extensions that let you disable them.
>
> These aren't solutions that help average users.

What helps "average" users is IMO mostly a UI question ;-)

I'd predict that this will be handled much like popup windows. They became
a nuisance for users, so UAs evolved to develop popup blocking, various
types of UI for opt-in enabling et cetera. If clipboard event abuse
becomes a severe enough problem, UAs will respond. Also, nothing stops UAs
 from giving the user opt-in measures before enabling this functionality in
the first place, and some UAs already have opt-in mechanisms when scripts
want to use the OS clipboard that could or should be extended to also
enable/disable clipboard events. Doing this in a user-friendly way is a
fair playing field for UAs to compete on, and not something we should
figure out now and put in the spec.

--
Hallvord R. M. Steen, Core Tester, Opera Software
http://www.opera.com http://my.opera.com/hallvors/