Re: Reference to the HTML specification

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com wrote:

> Are you and Ian suggesting we eliminate the publication of WD versions
> on the way to Rec and just keep the editors draft in TR space?

Yes (or eliminate the TR/ space entirely and keep the specs elsewhere).

> A major implication relates to IPR licensing obligations, which serve to
> protect implementers. These obligations are incurred relative to steps
> in the process, e.g. First public WD publication etc.  Have you figured
> out how editors draft in TR space would work with the W3C patent policy
> (maybe not an issue if you are saying we have both published drafts as
> well as editors draft in TR space).

Well ideally the IPR policy would be updated, but in the meantime, I have
been suggesting publishing snapshots of the specs on an annual basis with
clearly marked headings like "Annual Patent Policy Snapshot for Web
Storage Specification - 2011" and with text clearly indicating that the
document is not intended for implementation reference but is merely a
snapshot to be used as a reference for the patent licenses granted via the
W3C patent policy.

Thus we would still get the IPR protection, but people wouldn't be
confused by reading obsolete drafts.