Re: Custom tags over wire, was Re: HTMLElement.register--giving components tag names

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> The offsetWidth query could've triggered an event
>> handler execution
>
> I don't think "offsetWidth" should be able to trigger synchronous execution
> of an event listener in the content. How would that happen?

It's certainly possible in WebKit
(http://codesearch.google.com/codesearch#OAMlx_jo-ck/src/third_party/WebKit/Source/WebCore/dom/Document.cpp&l=1565).
All it takes for the layout bit to be dirty and an event to be queued
up prior to the hapless script accessing Element::offsetWidth
(http://codesearch.google.com/codesearch#OAMlx_jo-ck/src/third_party/WebKit/Source/WebCore/dom/Element.cpp&l=387).

Let's not rathole on this specific case though -- the whole notion is
that the interface of the object changes as a result of spooky action
at a distance is preposterous and should certainly not be codified
into the platform. Sure, you can already yank my prototype chain with
__proto__ and override my methods, bu those things are widely viewed
as bad form. We have enough bad form. Let's not add more.

:DG<