Re: Custom tags over wire, was Re: HTMLElement.register--giving components tag names

From: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 20:11:34 -0700
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Dominic Cooney <dominicc@chromium.org>, Alex Russell <alex@dojotoolkit.org>
On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>
> wrote:
>> The offsetWidth query could've triggered an event
>> handler execution
> I don't think "offsetWidth" should be able to trigger synchronous execution
> of an event listener in the content. How would that happen?

It's certainly possible in WebKit
All it takes for the layout bit to be dirty and an event to be queued
up prior to the hapless script accessing Element::offsetWidth

Let's not rathole on this specific case though -- the whole notion is
that the interface of the object changes as a result of spooky action
at a distance is preposterous and should certainly not be codified
into the platform. Sure, you can already yank my prototype chain with
__proto__ and override my methods, bu those things are widely viewed
as bad form. We have enough bad form. Let's not add more.