Re: Custom tags over wire, was Re: HTMLElement.register--giving components tag names

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 19:08:42 +0000 (UTC)
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
cc: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Dominic Cooney <dominicc@chromium.org>, Alex Russell <alex@dojotoolkit.org>
On Fri, 2 Sep 2011, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> What we need is not a becomes="" attribute (that renames an element and
> therefore forgoes its semantics) but rather a way to get complete
> control over a semantic element and tweak aspects of it. Otherwise
> creating such controls is prohibitively expensive and only useful if you
> have vast resources.

Exactly. This is in fact how XBL works. This is why the widgets in the
HTML spec are defined in terms of bindings -- the idea is that authors can
then provide their own alternative bindings or inherit from them. We would
provide basic bindings that they can reuse in their inheritance chain,
e.g. so that they can override just the look of the button but get all the
interactive behaviour (accessibility roles, keyboard navigation, mouse
click reactions, etc) for free.