Re: HTMLElement.register--giving components tag names

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 19:04:35 +0000 (UTC)
To: Dominic Cooney <dominicc@chromium.org>
Cc: WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Dominic Cooney wrote:

> I'm proposing we add something that lets script extend the set of tag
> names, so there is less of a bright line between elements defined in the
> HTML spec and elements defined in script. Something like:
>
> HTMLElement.register('x-contacts', ContactPicker);

What's the fallback behaviour for when script is disabled?

I think the XBL approach is far superior here -- have authors use existing
elements, and use XBL to augment them. For example, if you want the user
to select a country from a map, you can use a <select> with a list of
countries in <option> elements in the markup, but then use CSS/XBL to bind
that <select> to a "component" that instead makes the <select> look like a
map, with all the interactivity that implies.