Re: HTMLElement.register--giving components tag names

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 09:00:52 +0200
To: "WebApps WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>, "Dominic Cooney" <dominicc@chromium.org>
On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 07:33:16 +0200, Dominic Cooney <dominicc@chromium.org>
> Thanks for reading this far! These proposals aren't formal or
> detailed. I would love to get feedback as I try to nail down some
> specifics.

The basic problem with this is that you get proprietary markup going over
the wire:

Having said that, I am not sure what the "correct" alternative would be.
XBL (as Ian envisioned it anyway) was meant to enhance non-proprietary
markup, not to let authors create novel constructs. Now you cannot stop
authors from exploring novel constructs of course, but whether we should
explicitly endorse it is another matter.

Anne van Kesteren