Re: HTMLElement.register--giving components tag names

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 09:00:52 +0200
To: "WebApps WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>, "Dominic Cooney" <dominicc@chromium.org>
On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 07:33:16 +0200, Dominic Cooney <dominicc@chromium.org>
wrote:
> Thanks for reading this far! These proposals aren't formal or
> detailed. I would love to get feedback as I try to nail down some
> specifics.

The basic problem with this is that you get proprietary markup going over
the wire:

http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1064828134&count=1

Having said that, I am not sure what the "correct" alternative would be.
XBL (as Ian envisioned it anyway) was meant to enhance non-proprietary
markup, not to let authors create novel constructs. Now you cannot stop
authors from exploring novel constructs of course, but whether we should
explicitly endorse it is another matter.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/