RE: Rescinding the DOM 2 View Recommendation?

On Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:18 AM, Arthur Barstow wrote:
> Anne, Ms2ger, All,
>
> Anne and others proposed in [Proposal] the DOM 2 View Recommendation
> [D2V] be "rescinded". The rescinding process is defined in the Process
> Document [Rescind]. However,  Ian Jacobs just indicated in IRC
> [#webapps] it has never actually been used.
>
> One process requirement for rescinding a Recommendation is a "separate
> rationale for the proposal to rescind". Would you Anne and/or someone
> please create the rationale document (using WebApps' wiki)? I think it
> should include a clear problem statement i.e. identify the interop
> issues this Recommendation is causing as well as the alternative (new)
> solution.
>
> If anyone has comments about this proposal, please speak up.

Microsoft is opposed to rescinding the DOM L2 View Recommendation. Our
customers value stable Recommendation documents that they can use to
compare implementations against and we document Internet Explorer's
variations against all completed W3C Recommendations. For IE9 we targeted
the DOM L2 View spec and our support documentation is available in MSDN [1].
Trying to maintain such documentation for a moving target such as the
HTML5 spec is too costly and doesn't provide our customers with what they
need.

Microsoft proposes that the W3C maintain the Recommendation status for
DOM L2 View until a stable alternative is available. A note in the status
section indicating that on-going work to supersede this document is being
done in the HTML5 specification would be appropriate.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff460623(v=VS.85).aspx