RfC: how to organize the DOM specs [Was: CfC: publish new WD of DOM Core]

[ Topic changed to how to organize the group's DOM specs ... ]

Hi Adrian, Anne, Doug, Jacob, All,

The WG is chartered to do maintenance on the DOM specs so a question for
us is how to organize the DOM specs, in particular, whether Anne's DOM
spec should be constrained (or not) to some set of features e.g. the
feature set in the DOM L3 Core spec.

There are advantages to the monolithic/kitchen-sink approach and, as we
have seen with other large specification efforts, there aredisadvantages
too. In general, I prefer smaller specs with a tight{er,ish} scope and I
think there should be compelling reasons to take the monolithic
approach, especially if there is a single editor. Regardless of the
approach, the minimal editor(s) requirements are: previous credible
experience, technical competence in the area, demonstrated ability to
seek consensus with all of the participants and willingness to comply
with the W3C's procedures for publishing documents.

In the case of AvK's DOM spec, there has been some progressive feature
creep. For instance, the 31-May-2011 WD included a new chapter on Events
(with some overlap with D3 Events). The 2-Aug-2011 ED proposed for
publication includes a new chapter on Traversal. Additionally, the ED
still includes a stub section for mutation events which is listed as a
separate deliverable in group's charter ("Asynchronous DOM Mutation
Notification (ADMN)").

Before we publish a new WD of Anne's DOM spec, I would like comments on
how the DOM specs should be organized. In particular: a) whether you
prefer the status quo (currently that is DOM Core plus D3E) or if you
want various additional features of DOM e.g. Traversal, Mutation Events,
etc. to be specified in separate specs; and b) why. Additionally, if you
prefer features be spec'ed separately, please indicate your willingness
and availability to contribute as an editor vis-à-vis the editor
requirements above.

-ArtB