RE: publish new WD of DOM Core; deadline August 10

From: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 18:24:47 +0000
To: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
CC: Michael Champion <Michael.Champion@microsoft.com>
On Wednesday, August 03, 2011 7:12 AM, Arthur Barstow wrote:
> Anne would like to publish a new WD of DOM Core and this is a Call for
> Consensus (CfC) to do so:
>
>    http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html
>
> Agreeing with this proposal: a) indicates support for publishing a new
> WD; and b) does not necessarily indicate support for the contents of the WD.
>
> If you have any comments or concerns about this proposal, please send
> them to public-webapps@w3.org by August 10 at the latest.
>
> Positive response is preferred and encouraged and silence will be
> considered as agreement with the proposal.

Microsoft has some concerns about this document:

1. We have received feedback from both customers and teams at Microsoft that
the name DOM Core is causing confusion with the previous versions of DOM Core.
We request that the specification be named DOM Level 4 Core. The original Web
DOM Core name would also be acceptable.

2. The scope of the document is unclear. Microsoft believes that the document
should focus on core DOM interfaces to improve interoperability for DOM Core
in the web platform and to incorporate errata. If there are problems with
other specification such as Traversal, those documents should be amended.
This functionality shouldn't be pulled into DOM Core. We believe improvements
for mutation events should be kept a separate deliverable for this working
group (ADMN).

We would prefer to see these issues addressed before moving ahead with
publication.

Thanks,

Adrian.