Re: Element.create(): a proposal for more convenient element creation

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 09:17:08 -0700
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: Dominic Cooney <dominicc@google.com>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>, Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>
On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 1:17 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> Is there a reason to support namespaced attributes at all? They are
> extremely rare, especially on the web.
>
> Ideally I'd like to deprecate them, but I suspect that's not doable.
> But I see no reason to support them in new APIs.

SVG requires namespaced attributes for xlink, at least.  We're
planning to get rid of that in SVG2, but for now it would be
necessary.

We could, of course, just say "Too bad, don't write things that need
the xlink namespace, and wait for SVG2 to get rid of them".  I don't
think this would be very bad.

~TJ