Re: Mutation events replacement

On 7/22/11 11:44 AM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> Pretty much any formatting command is going to involve adding and
> removing wrapper elements.  To add a wrapper element, say adding a<b>
> around some text to make it bold, you first have to insert the wrapper
> before or after the thing you want to wrap, then move all the nodes to
> wrap into the wrapper.

Actually, you can pretty easily do it in the other order (move the text
into the <b>, and then put the <b> in the DOM), and may want to so as to
minimize the number of changes the the live DOM; that's something that's
often recommended as a performance enhancement.

> Likewise, to remove a wrapper, you have to
> first move all its contents adjacent to it, then actually remove it
> from its parent.

Again, these can easily happen in the opposite order....

> So I don't have any numbers, but anecdotally, editing things
> definitely does a lot of moving.  If you want numbers, though, you
> probably don't want to look at my implementation -- you want some
> real-world software that actually uses mutation events.

I don't need software that uses mutation events.  I need software that
triggers editing operations, so I can them actually measure what DOM
mutations are performed in the course of these editing operations.

-Boris