Re: copy events and content from server

From: Hallvord R. M. Steen <hallvord@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 09:30:27 +0900
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, "Paul Libbrecht" <paul@hoplahup.net>
On Wed, 04 May 2011 02:26:22 +0900, Paul Libbrecht <paul@hoplahup.net>
wrote:

>> In many of the scenarios I have working for, the content to be put on
>> the clipboard would come from a "luxury" knowledge structure on the
>> server, one that has access to some semantic source and can infer
>> useful representations out of it; these get put to the clipboard.
>> An offline HTML would also be an example of it.
>
> but I am realizing that this is probably not possible to do because the
> only way to do obtain something from the server is to wait until a
> callback is called (and this is good so) at which time the copy event
> might be long gone already.

Indeed.

> Would it be thinkable to *lock* the copy event until either a timeout
> occurs or an unlock is called?

It sounds like a quite "advanced" use case. I briefly considered something
like event.clipboardData.pushContentsOfURL('/foo/bar') but that would be
way to limited in options - POST/GET, post data etc. I would like to defer
this to later and see if we get more demand for it. Overall, the push for
web applications is a lot about removing logic from the server and adding
more on the client's side, so I'm unsure how common this state (when the
server knows significantly more than the client-side logic about what
should be placed on the clipboard) is and will be going forward.

--
Hallvord R. M. Steen, Core Tester, Opera Software
http://www.opera.com http://my.opera.com/hallvors/