copy events and content from server

From: Paul Libbrecht <paul@hoplahup.net>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 19:26:22 +0200
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>

Hello list,

As noted in the thread about security started by Halvord:

> In many of the scenarios I have working for, the content to be put on the clipboard would come from a "luxury" knowledge structure on the server, one that has access to some semantic source and can infer useful representations out of it; these get put to the clipboard.
> An offline HTML would also be an example of it.

but I am realizing that this is probably not possible to do because the only way to do obtain something from the server is to wait until a callback is called (and this is good so) at which time the copy event might be long gone already.

Would it be thinkable to *lock* the copy event until either a timeout occurs or an unlock is called?

This way the script in the client would be able to fetch rich transformations from the server.

thanks in advance.

paul

PS: I would expect the same could be needed for the copy event which could want to write to the server.