Re: [FileAPI] File.slice spec bug

From: Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 17:53:45 -0400
To: public-webapps@w3.org
CC: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>, Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org>, Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.org>
On 4/14/11 5:22 AM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

>> As a general point we think that making breaking changes to APIs with
>> multiple compatible implementations that are already shipping is a really
>> bad idea. So let's try and make this a one off.
>>
>> That said, we will go along with the plan, but we can't commit to a timeline
>> for releasing the changed version.
> Thanks James!
>
> I agree this is something we should really avoid. The best way I think
> we can do that in the future is to prefix implementations until specs
> are agreed to be in a more stable state. I certainly have had my fair
> share in not doing so enough, so not trying to shift blame here.
>
> / Jonas

I have released a spec. update with File.slice resembling
String.prototype.slice (covered in ECMA-262 5th Edition [1]), which I
think is the right model (since Blob and String are immutable).

http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#blob

Comments welcome and encouraged!

Other spec. updates will follow shortly.

-- A*
[1] http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-262.htm