Re: Reminder: RfC: Last Call Working Draft of Web Workers; deadline April 21

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Not if the user disables third-party cookies (or cookies completely), right?
>>
>> No, what I described is independent of cookies.  You just have to use
>> basic long-polling techniques, so the iframe on A.com sends a message
>> to the server, and the server then passes that message to the iframe
>> on B.com.
>
> But how does the server know to pair the two incoming connections and
> forward data between them? If 50 users visit these sites, all the
> server sees is 100 incoming connections with no idea which are coming
> from the same user.

True, you need some side-channel to link the two iframes for a
particular client.  You can use something simple like one of the
*other* within-domain communication mediums (cookies, localStorage,
etc.) to share a uniqueid, or you can just pull information out of the
client, which the two windows are likely to share, and use that as the
identifier.  We already know that you can fingerprint a larger
percentage of users with only a handful of information sources
available to JS.

~TJ