Re: Reminder: RfC: Last Call Working Draft of Web Workers; deadline April 21

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 22:27:14 -0400
To: public-webapps@w3.org
On 4/20/11 6:57 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> True, you need some side-channel to link the two iframes for a
> particular client.  You can use something simple like one of the
> *other* within-domain communication mediums (cookies, localStorage,
> etc.)

Which is why there are options to restrict third-party cookies; I
believe there are proposals to apply those to localStorage and the like
as well.

> We already know that you can fingerprint a larger
> percentage of users

Which is why some UA vendors are actively trying to reduce the
fingerprintable bits of their UAs that they expose to page JS.

In other words, these are problems we're trying to solve.  Adding to the
list of problems seems counterproductive here.

-Boris