Re: [FileAPI] File.slice spec bug

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 4:25 PM, Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Mike Taylor <miketaylr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 4/12/11 2:05 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>>
>>> It appears that Opera too implements File.slice. Would be great to
>>> know for how long it's been implemented.
>>
>> The first public build [1] with File.slice was made available last week.
>> It's only been officially supported as of today, however, with the release
>> of 11.10.
>>
>> [1] http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2011/04/05/stability-gmail-socks
>>
>> - Mike
>

> As Jian mentioned earlier, File.slice has been available in Chrome since
> version 6, which was released Sept 2, 2010:
> http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2010/09/stable-and-beta-channel-updates.html
> It seems like too much time has passed with this feature baked into Chrome
> for us to be able to change its behavior now.  While I agree that it would
> be nice for ".slice(...)" to work the same way in all contexts, I'm just not
> sure that this is something we can remove from Chrome at this point or even
> change.
> I'm very concerned about breaking existing web content.
> A new name for this function might be nice, but once you do that then I'm
> not sure that its arguments should really be any different than the current
> arguments for Blob.slice().  What's wrong with "start" and "length" other
> than that the fact that it differs from the parameters to Array.slice?  Why
> should Blob.createSubBlob favor the argument style of Array.slice over
> Blob.slice?

I don't really care much about which style a new function would take.
I just think it's a really bad idea to have File.slice and Array.slice
which basically do exactly the same thing but take subtly different
arguments.

> I guess I'm leaning toward no change at all and just taking our lumps for
> having created an inconsistent API :-/

Given that only chrome has supported File.slice up until last week, I
doubt there are that many sites that rely on it. Do you know of any?
Any non-google ones (and thus would be harder to update)?

/ Jonas