Re: [FileAPI] File.slice spec bug

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 14:35:02 -0700
To: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Cc: Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>>
>> File.slice is currently shipped by Chrome and Firefox 4. I would be
>> fine with fixing this in Firefox 4.0.1, however that only makes sense
>> if the chrome folks are fine with fixing it in their implementation.
>
> "bb = new BlobBuilder(); bb.append("abcd"); bb.getBlob().slice(2, 2).size ==
> 0" is a straightforward feature test, except that Firefox 4 doesn't support
> BlobBuilder.  Is there another way to synchronously retrieve a non-empty
> Blob to test with?

No, but feature testing only when you're about to use the function
shouldn't be a problem, no?

Another possible solution, and one that I'm leaning towards if other
browsers aren't willing to change the .slice() implementation. Is to
remove .slice from the spec and instead add something like
.createSubBlob().

/ Jonas