Re: XHR responseArrayBuffer attribute: suggestion to replace "asBlob" with "responseType"

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 04:15:43 -0700
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren@apple.com>, Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org>, Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com>, Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com>, michaeln@google.com, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap@webkit.org>, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com>, jorlow@google.com, jamesr@chromium.org
On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 11/2/10 11:35 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>
>> So your concern is that jQuery will update to use the new API before
>> browsers implement it. And then once browsers do implement it and
>> start honoring the .responseType by making various existing properties
>> throw, things will fail?
>
> No, my concern is that browsers will implement this, and then sites that
> haven't updated their jquery, and probably never plan to do it, will start
> using the new stuff browsers have implemented.

In this particular case, if someone is using jQuery to do their XHR,
they will basically never touch the native XHR object.  Native XHR
sucks pretty badly, which is why $.get, $.post, and generally $.ajax
exist.

So, there's little chance that authors will be trying to use the new
features with old jQuery, because it's impossible without hacking down
into the native object.

~TJ