Re: XHR responseArrayBuffer attribute: suggestion to replace "asBlob" with "responseType"

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 22:06:18 -0400
To: David Flanagan <david@davidflanagan.com>
CC: public-webapps@w3.org, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren@apple.com>, Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org>, Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com>, michaeln@google.com, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap@webkit.org>, jorlow@google.com, jamesr@chromium.org
On 11/2/10 4:04 PM, David Flanagan wrote:
> Boris (Mozilla) worries that creating a new mode in which responseText
> is unavailable will break jQuery applications.

And various others where the consumer of the data and the XHR creator
are not the same entity.  jQuery is just an obvious example that we all
know about, is public, and clearly illustrates the pattern....

> It occurs to me now, however, that the way to avoid breaking jQuery is
> to make responseType a constructor argument instead of a property to be
> set before send(). If I recall correctly, jQuery always creates its own
> XHR object, so if responseType is only settable at creation time, then
> the situation Boris fears won't arise. At least not with that library.

That last sentence is key there... ;)

-Boris