Re: XHR responseArrayBuffer attribute: suggestion to replace "asBlob" with "responseType"

On 10/27/10 3:23 PM, Michael Nordman wrote:
> Darin mentioned it earlier in this thread, having XHR return the raw
> data and providing other interfaces to interpret/decode the raw data
> into strings/xmlDocs. I like that decomposition.

If we were designing from scratch, yes.

Or is the proposal that we introduce the up-front modal switch and
provide such APIs to allow consumers who want bytes-or-string to say
they want bytes but then manually create the string later?

Note, by the way, that for XML and HTML types, one is required (per
current XHR spec) to instantiate an XML or HTML parser, respectively, to
produce the responseText (because the data can declare its own encoding
in things like <meta> tags).  I'm not sure whether that complicates the
other interfaces being proposed.... I guess they could do that under the
hood.  But they point is they'd need to know the MIME type, not just the
data.

-Boris