Re: XHR responseArrayBuffer attribute: suggestion to replace "asBlob" with "responseType"

From: Michael Nordman <michaeln@google.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 12:46:25 -0700
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: Geoffrey Garen <ggaren@apple.com>, Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org>, Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com>, Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com>, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap@webkit.org>, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com>, jorlow@google.com, jamesr@chromium.org
On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 10/27/10 3:23 PM, Michael Nordman wrote:
>
>> Darin mentioned it earlier in this thread, having XHR return the raw
>> data and providing other interfaces to interpret/decode the raw data
>> into strings/xmlDocs. I like that decomposition.
>>

> If we were designing from scratch, yes.
>
> Or is the proposal that we introduce the up-front modal switch and provide
> such APIs to allow consumers who want bytes-or-string to say they want bytes
> but then manually create the string later?

There wasn't a concrete proposal, just saying the division of labor between
data retrieval and data processing sounded good to me. I would be in favor
of concrete proposals in that direction and I view the responseArrayBuffer
attribute as a step in that direction.

> Note, by the way, that for XML and HTML types, one is required (per current
> XHR spec) to instantiate an XML or HTML parser, respectively, to produce the
> responseText (because the data can declare its own encoding in things like
> being proposed.... I guess they could do that under the hood.  But they
> point is they'd need to know the MIME type, not just the data.

So an XMLParser would need more than just the raw data, ok.