Re: XHR responseArrayBuffer attribute: suggestion to replace "asBlob" with "responseType"

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 03:24:37 -0400
To: Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org>
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com>, Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com>, michaeln@google.com, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap@webkit.org>, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com>, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren@apple.com>, jorlow@google.com
On 10/27/10 3:21 AM, Darin Fisher wrote:
>     I have no problem with hinting to the implementor that the result is
>     expected to be used as a Blob so they can optimistically store it to
>     disk.  My problem is with then making it impossible to get it as a
>     string if needed later (which would just involve reading the data
>     from disk into memory).
>
> Yes, but doing so is inefficient since the API requires the data to be
> in memory synchronously.  We don't want to block the UI thread on disk IO.

Well... either this will be a rare case (how rare compared to the data
just being paged out?) or it'll be common enough that the exceptions
thrown in that situation in the current proposal would be a problem, no?

-Boris