createBlobURL (was: Re: CfC: WD of File API; deadline October 22)

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 16:03:30 +0200, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
wrote:
>   Arun and Jonas would like to publish a new Working Draft of the File
> API spec and this is Call for Consensus to do so:
>
>    http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/
>
> As with all of our CfCs, positive response is preferred and encouraged
> and silence will be assumed to be assent.
>
> The deadline for comments is October 22. This comment period is a bit
> shorter than our typical 1-week review period but this will allow us to
> sync the publication of this spec with the File API: {Writer,
> Directories and System} specs. If this short comment period causes any
> issues or concerns, please let us know.

I support publication, but [XHR2] is currently a broken link (misses a # I
think).

Also, if createBlobURL is the way to go -- rather than Blob.url -- can we
design it in a generic way so that it also works for Stream objects?
Otherwise we will get createStreamURL as well which seems kind of
unnecessary. Maybe even better, can we somehow converge this with the URL
specification Adam Barth was working on? So you can do new URL(Blob)
rather than having more methods on Window?

Also, is there some kind of implementation summary available regarding the
File API specifications? With what is shipping prefixed and what is
shipping without a prefix? We are interested in supporting this too in the
distant future.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/