Re: A URL API

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:22:16 +0200
To: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
CC: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>, Devdatta Akhawe <dev.akhawe@gmail.com>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On 20.09.2010 18:56, Garrett Smith wrote:
> No idea; I wouldn't expect it to work, even if some browser actually
> supported something other than GET|POST. I've always used "get" or
> "post" and that's what's stated in HTML4.
>
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#adef-method>
>
> Might a large-ish form request, a standard form submission be a better
> alternative to XHR?

Depends on the application.

One reason to use XHR is that you want to interact with an HTTP service
that hasn't been written for a web browser.

Whether services like this require complicated URI construction is a
separate issue. Some do. And I'm pretty sure that people *will* get URI
construction wrong due to delimiters, non-ASCII characters and so on.

> Requests that don't have lot of parameters are often simple one-liners:
>
> url = "/getShipping/?zip=" + zip + "&pid=" + pid;

That's exactly the kind of code that will fail once "pid" and "zip"
contain things you don't expecz.

> What XHRs have complicated URL with a lot of query parameters?

What XHRs?

Best regards, Julian