Re: Blob/File naming

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 13:14:41 -0700
To: Chris Prince <chris.prince@gmail.com>
Cc: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, "arun@mozilla.com" <arun@mozilla.com>, Jian Li <jianli@chromium.org>, Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com>, Dmitry Titov <dimich@chromium.org>, Michael Nordman <michaeln@google.com>, David Levin <levin@google.com>, Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org>, Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Chris Prince <chris.prince@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 1. Most people that I talk to dislike the name Blob, much less having
>>> it spread to things like BlobReader.
>
> I could maybe understand this if "blob" were a new term we were
> inventing.  But it's not.  It's a well-known computer science concept.
>  It seems worse to try and coin a totally new name for "opaque chunk
> of data".
>
> FWIW, "most people" hating the name blob seems like a stretch, as it
> has not been my experience.  But maybe we run in different circles.

I have already enumerated in numerous emails why I think "File" is
better than "Blob", at least in some contexts. Last time in [1]. You
seem to have a different experience with regards to item 1 in that
list, however items 2 through 4 still applies and so I don't see a
reason to change my conclusion.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JulSep/0637.html

/ Jonas