Re: [XHR] Redirects

From: James Leigh <james-nospam@leighnet.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:48:57 -0400
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org, João Eiras <joao.eiras@gmail.com>
On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 00:03 +0200, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 15:07:50 +0200, João Eiras <joao.eiras@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > b)
> > Could there be a way to opt-in into not following redirection chains ?
> >
> > For instance, a redirectCount property, default value would be
> > something like Infinity (the user agent could then cap the maximum
> > amount of redirects), and setting it to 0 would prevent any redirect,
> > and setting to something greater than 0 would then limit the redirect
> > chain to that number.
> > If the last http request was 302 and the redirection prevented, then
> > the 302 status code and the last response headers would be returned by
> > the XHR obj.
>
> What is the use case?
>
> We might add something like this at some point (probably by way of a
> followRedirects boolean) but so far the use cases have not been really
> strong so it has not been given much priority.

A boolean flag would be fine for my use case, which is a 303 following a
POST. The POST request is sent over XHR, but the target location of the
redirect is an HTML document that should be shown to the user in the
browser window. I need to have access to the target location in
JavaScript to direct the browser window to that location.

James