Re: [XHR] Redirects

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 00:03:47 +0200
To: public-webapps@w3.org, Joćo Eiras <joao.eiras@gmail.com>
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 15:07:50 +0200, Joćo Eiras <joao.eiras@gmail.com>
> Hi !
> a)
> If a XHR follows a redirection chain, does the API provide a way to
> retrieve the final url?

Apart from document.responseXML.URL I do not think so. And I'm not sure if
document.responseXML.URL is supposed to work.

> b)
> Could there be a way to opt-in into not following redirection chains ?
> For instance, a redirectCount property, default value would be
> something like Infinity (the user agent could then cap the maximum
> amount of redirects), and setting it to 0 would prevent any redirect,
> and setting to something greater than 0 would then limit the redirect
> chain to that number.
> If the last http request was 302 and the redirection prevented, then
> the 302 status code and the last response headers would be returned by
> the XHR obj.

What is the use case?

We might add something like this at some point (probably by way of a
followRedirects boolean) but so far the use cases have not been really
strong so it has not been given much priority.

Anne van Kesteren