XMLHttpRequest send() Method Uploads On Inappropriate HTTP Protocols

From: Hans Meiser <brille1@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:06:20 +0100
To: <public-webapps@w3.org>

I noticed that the Mozilla XMLHttpRequest send() method implementation uploads POST data on any protocol other than GET. According to a discussion at Bugzilla, this is due to the specs:

I believe this spec ought to be updated to also exclude POST data from being uploaded for HTTP request methods like DELETE, TRACE, OPTIONS.

Plus, I believe upload should be allowed to be send along with HEAD requests, because if the page would usually respond to POST requests, it can only return useful results like Content-length if the HEAD request would upload the same data as POST.

For further details on this discussion please refer to:

Axel Dahmen