Re: [IndexedDB] Promises (WAS: Seeking pre-LCWD comments for Indexed Database API; deadline February 2)

From: Joseph Pecoraro <joepeck02@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:18:01 -0800
Cc: Kris Zyp <kris@sitepen.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: Jeremy Orlow <jorlow@google.com>
On Feb 18, 2010, at 4: 31AM, Jeremy Orlow wrote
> Very interesting.  The general concept seems promising and fairly flexible.  You can easily code in a similar style to normal async/callback semantics, but it seems like you have a lot more flexibility.  I do have a few questions though.
>
> Are there any good examples of these used in the wild that you can point me towards?  I used my imagination for prototyping up some examples, but it'd be great to see some real examples + be able to see the exact semantics used in those implementations.

The node.js community has some experience with promises. Here was a
recent discussion they had on promises and alternatives (although
I think it was primarily syntax driven):
http://groups.google.com/group/nodejs/browse_thread/thread/78ad3478317ee19c/625b1d0f013206fa

If you're unfamiliar with node.js [1], it strives to always be
asynchronous and non-blocking. There are a number of database wrapper
modules, nearly all of which should give examples of using promises:
http://wiki.github.com/ry/node/modules#database

- Joe

[1]: http://nodejs.org/