Re: Social APIs (was: Rechartering WebApp WG)

On Feb 13, 2010, at 5:18 PM, ext Scott Wilson wrote:
> On 13 Feb 2010, at 20:52, Doug Schepers wrote:
>> That's not to say a Social API is not useful or desirable.  I'd
>> love to see this done at W3C, and I think it's important to make
>> sure it works well in both web sites and widgets.  So, my
>> counterproposal is to suggest that you work with Harry Halpin to
>> propose a new Social API WG (maybe under Interaction Domain, but
>> more fittingly under the Technology and Society Domain), and bring
>> in the Google Wave and Open Social folks (since Google is already
>> a W3C member), and find other stakeholders (Facebook?) who might
>> also be interested, to help standardize what they have all already
>> done.  Harry and I have talked a bit before about next steps for
>> the Social Web, and this strikes me as a logical and pragmatic
>> next step.  I will be happy to do what I can to help set this up,
>> and to ensure good communication between our groups, and to make
>> sure that it works well with Widgets.
>
> I think this is a very good proposal; I'm happy to drop the
> proposal for doing this in Webapps and work instead with the Social
> Web group as you suggest.

The above statements are consistent with my thoughts on this subject
and the following deliverable in the Social Web XG's Charter:

[[
<http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/charter#deliverables>

2. A document that describes how diverse, ongoing work in this area
(outside and within the W3C) currently relates to the Social Web's
future. This description of existing, active and past work, both on
an industry level and a technical level, will seek to explain how the
W3C and community at large may leverage the best of breed and
highlight possible weaknesses where further work or new work would be
beneficial to the Social Web. This document may be divided into
different documents if a single document becomes unwieldy. As the use
cases document, this document will inform and guide recommendations
made by the Incubator Group in its final report.
]]

That XG is supposed to end 31 March 2010. I would appreciate a short
update on this XG and if the above deliverable is still the Plan of
Record (pointer to that info is fine).

-Art Barstow