Re: [widgets-twi] window object

From: Cyril Concolato <cyril.concolato@enst.fr>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 09:54:28 +0100
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
CC: marcosc@opera.com, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
Le 08/02/2010 13:29, Robin Berjon a écrit :
> On Feb 5, 2010, at 16:18 , Marcos Caceres wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Cyril Concolato<cyril.concolato@enst.fr>  wrote:
>>> So I'm wondering how should the widget object be implemented in a UA
>>> that does not support the window object ?
>> Yeah, that's a tough one... the spec says:
>> "For a widget instance, a user agent MUST expose a unique object that
>> implements the widget interface to author scripts."
>> It does not give any guidance as to how the interface must be exposed.
> But then again, SVG supports the Window object (minimally defined in http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/svgudom.html#dom__Window). So just adding a widget field there ought to be straightforward.
My mistake. I had not realized that. But again, the question is why put the widget object on the window object, apart from it being a black hole. Why not put it in the global object. What's wrong with that? It would easier to specify. What's the benefit of using the window object?

Cyril Concolato
Groupe Mutimedia/Multimedia Group
Telecom ParisTech
46 rue Barrault