Re: Notifications

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 21:15:40 +0100
To: "John Gregg" <johnnyg@google.com>
Cc: "Drew Wilson" <atwilson@google.com>, Olli@pettay.fi, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 21:04:06 +0100, John Gregg <johnnyg@google.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> If that is the idea createHTMLNotification() should be on a separate
>> supplemental interface that user agents on platforms that support HTML
>> notifications can implement to make it clear it might not be available
>> and that is somewhat separate. (Not sure whether I agree we need HTML
>> notifications though, especially for v1.)
> I'd be okay with using a separate interface if it is the more clear way
> make something optional in the spec, provided the actual invocation
> doesn't
> become too cumbersome.
> (window.notifications.html.createNotification(url)
> vs window.notifications.createNotification(icon,text) maybe?)

Sorry, it would just be prose. E.g.

   [Supplemental] interface NotificationCenter {

for an example of extensions to the Document interface.

> I tried to indicate in the descriptive parts of the spec that
> createHTMLNotification could be left undefined if unsupported, so the
> goal is the same as what you propose.

I suppose that could work too.

> As to whether HTML notifications are needed, I think there are many use
> cases, even simple ones, in which there is a lot of a benefit to dynamic
> behavior.  I'm repeating myself from whatwg list, but even a calendar
> reminder with a <select> for snooze delay is very useful.

My main gripe with it is that they do not integrate with the system
notification systems, though that can change of course.

Anne van Kesteren