Re: Notifications

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 20:41:34 +0100
To: "Drew Wilson" <atwilson@google.com>, "John Gregg" <johnnyg@google.com>
Cc: Olli@pettay.fi, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 19:54:44 +0100, Drew Wilson <atwilson@google.com>
wrote:
> Following up on breaking out createHTMLNotification() and
> createNotification() vs combining them into one large API - I believe the
> intent is that a given user agent may not support all types of
> notifications
> (for example, a mobile phone application may only support text + icon
> notifications, not HTML notifications). Having these APIs broken out
> separately allows the UA to communicate whether it supports one or the
> other
> to the web app (a UA that does not support HTML notifications would leave
> createHTMLNotification() undefined).

If that is the idea createHTMLNotification() should be on a separate
supplemental interface that user agents on platforms that support HTML
notifications can implement to make it clear it might not be available and
that is somewhat separate. (Not sure whether I agree we need HTML
notifications though, especially for v1.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/