Re: [widgets] Null in P&C

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 13:45:54 +0100
To: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>

Thomas Roessler wrote:
> Is that a P&C specific concern or one that should better be covered in WebIDL?

It's a P&C concern, not related to WebIDL. I think WebIDL kinda assumes
a layer of abstraction over ECMAScript - this is not the case with P&C
which knows nothing about scripting languages, and should not have made
any assumptions about what language it would be implemented in (again,
my mistake was that I was writing a reference implementation in Java
while I was spec'ing P&C, so it all made sense at the time:)). The
problem is that the spec algorithms are written in pseudo code in a
manner that tries to be generic... but fails a bit because it uses
concrete concepts from ECMAScript/Java where it shouldn't. In most
cases, it's ok, but as shown with null, it can lead to ambiguities.