Re: [UMP] Server opt-in

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Tyler Close <tyler.close@gmail.com> wrote:
> The confidentiality of a resource can be compromised by a CSRF
> vulnerability in a legitimate client.

Can you define what you mean by CSRF?  I think we must have different
ideas about what the term means because I don't understand that
sentence.

For reference, here's a definition of CSRF that I wrote in 2008:

"In a cross-site request forgery (CSRF) attack, the attacker disrupts
the integrity of the user’s session with a web site by injecting
network requests via the user’s browser."
--- http://www.adambarth.com/papers/2008/barth-jackson-mitchell-b.pdf

Here's how Wikipedia defines CSRF:

"Cross-site request forgery, also known as a one-click attack or
session riding and abbreviated as CSRF ("sea-surf"[1]) or XSRF, is a
type of malicious exploit of a website whereby unauthorized commands
are transmitted from a user that the website trusts."
--- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_request_forgery

In particular, both of these definitions talk about integrity
violations on the server.  You seem to be talking about a
confidentiality issues on the client.

Adam