Re: Adopting postMessage and MessageChannel from HTML5?

From: Arthur Barstow <Art.Barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 06:48:04 -0500
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: ext Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
On Jan 11, 2010, at 4:17 PM, ext Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2010, at 12:10 PM, Arthur Barstow wrote:
>

> However, I believe that this spec actually is within our charter.
> Overall, Section 2 of the charter, Scope, states: "The scope of the
> Web Applications Working Group covers the technologies related to
> developing client-side applications on the Web, including both
> markup vocabularies for describing and controlling client-side
> application behavior and programming interfaces for client-side
> development." This spec is pretty clearly a "programming interface
> for client-side development". It is true that the charter gives
> some specific examples, but I do not believe they are intended to
> be exhaustive and do not cover all deliverables.

The Charter also says "Per section 6.2.3 of the W3C Process document,
any substantive changes to the charter (e.g. additional
Recommendation-track documents not included in this charter) will
follow the Advisory Committee Review process.".

In this case, it seems like we should follow the precedence used with
the other specs that were split from HTML5 and moved to WebApps, thus
this new spec would need to be added to WebApps Charter before
WebApps can publish it.

Anyway, I'll ask the Team for advice on the way forward and we should
move this administrative thread to WebApps Member list.

-Art Barstow