Re: XHR LC comment: header encoding

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 15:57:34 -0500
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
CC: WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On 1/4/10 3:15 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> But what's the alternative? Decide the encoding in each case? The
> encoding not being predictable seems to be worse than anything else...

Well, one non-destructive alternative is to encode JS strings as bytes
by converting each 16-bit code unit into a byte pair (in LE or BE order,
as desired).  This has the obvious drawback of stuffing null bytes into
the header, as well as not round-tripping with the byte-inflation.

But that's the only non-destructive alternative (well, that and variants
like base64-encoding to get around the null byte thing) I see, given
that JS strings are actually arrays of arbitrary 16-bit integers.  In
particular, conversion to UTF-8 is in fact destructive, as is any other
conversion that treats the string as Unicode of some sort.

If we don't have a requirement to preserve any possible JS string via
this API, then we probably have more flexibility..

-Boris