Re: [IndexedDB] Changing the default overwrite behavior of Put

On 6/17/2010 10:26 AM, Kris Zyp wrote:
> My order of preference:
> 1. parameter-based:
> put(record, {id: "some-id", overwrite: false, ... other parameters ..});
> This leaves room for future parameters without a long positional
> optional parameter list, which becomes terribly confusing and
> difficult to read. In Dojo we generally try to avoid more than 2 or 3
> positional parameters at most before going to named parameters, we
> also avoid negatives as much as possible as they generally introduce
> confusion (like noOverwrite).
> 2. Two methods called "put" and "create" (i.e. put(record, id) or
> create(record, id))
> 3. Two methods called "put" and "add".
Agree with either (2) or (3).  I don't like (1) simply because I don't
know any other web API that uses that form, and I think we shouldn't
break the mold here.  Libraries certainly can, however.  Might prefer
(3) over (2) only because add is shorter than create.

Cheers,

Shawn