Re: Updates to File API

From: J Ross Nicoll <jrn@jrn.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 10:02:03 +0100
To: Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org>
CC: arun@mozilla.com, Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, public-device-apis <public-device-apis@w3.org>
On 19/05/10 08:00, Darin Fisher wrote:

> It doesn't seem too late to change the name.  FF could support both
> FileReader and BlobReader.  One could just be an alias for the other.
>   It seems like we have situations like this frequently when it comes to
> new web platform APIs.  A name only becomes immutable once there is a
> lot of content using it since user agents would be compelled to support
> the existing name for compat with existing content ;-)

I would agree with this; the name in the specification should be
whatever makes most sense, not the name that has been used in a draft
implementation. I also think it's perfectly reasonable to expect content
using the draft API to be updated over a relatively short period of time
(meaning I would not expect Firefox to handle both names for more than a
year or two).