Widgets support

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 00:03:49 +0100
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
Hi All,

I've been trying to find out if any of the / which common browsers
support widgets, or plan to.

The best I've been able to find so far is a chart in the
widgets-landscape doc [1] from over 2 years ago.

If widget support is planned or implemented in any of the major
browsers, could somebody indicate (or point me to a document which
indicates) how the browser handles a non-embedded widget.

Namely if I create a widget entirely out of HTML5 & JS, wrap it up and
sign it, then point a browser to the URI where it can be located, will
it download and run in the main browser window, or other?

Additionally, under what security model would it run, would CORS/UMP etc
still apply as this seems to be at odds with the Widget Access Request
Policy [2].

[1] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-land/#introduction
[2] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-access/

Best,