Re: Chromium's support for CORS and UMP

From: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 10:48:49 -0700
To: Dirk Pranke <dpranke@chromium.org>
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, MarkM Miller <erights@google.com>, Tyler Close <tjclose@google.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Dirk Pranke <dpranke@chromium.org> wrote:

> 3) UMP appears to be nearly a subset of CORS, and does have a lot of
> nice properties for security and simplicity. We support UMP and would
> like to see the syntax continue to be unified with CORS so that it is
> in fact a subset (I believe this is already happening). We also
> (mostly) support UMP being a separate spec so that web authors can
> read it without being bogged down by the additional complexity CORS
> offers. If there is a good editorial way to handle this in a single
> spec, that would probably be fine.

There turned out to be a good deal of mis-communication around this. My read
of the chromium-dev thread and the following public-webapps discussion is
that Chromium supports there being a document (call it a spec if you will)
for web developers that explains how to use the UMP subset of CORS and is
referenced from the CORS spec.

Ojan