Re: Chromium's support for CORS and UMP

Dirk Pranke wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A couple weeks back there was a question as to implementor support for
> UMP and CORS, and that ended up launching a longish thread on the
> chromium-dev mailing list [1].
>
> Tyler Close has asked me to summarize the conclusions of that thread
> here, so ...
>
> 1) CORS is already implemented and shipping in WebKit, so Chromium
> supports CORS and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
>
> 2) We (the Chromium team) are curious as to what CORS is being used
> for - we don't have a lot of real-world examples, and so we may end up
> instrumenting the dev channels of Chromium to see if we can actually
> figure this out [2].

Been covering this today on www-tag; the short version is that the shift
to sem-web, linked data, opengraph, rdfa, microformats, opendata means
that increasingly we need JS access to public resources - yet don't have
it, so I think the users of the aforementioned techs are all going to
have to jump in to CORS (very, very sadly)

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2010May/0015.html

Personally, I don't follow why JS running in a user agent should have
completely different access rules to the rest of the web, primarily
because a few site admin's feel it's a good idea to expose sensitive
data via IP-based auth on intranets / on the web via stateful sessions
on a stateless protocol.

It troubles me tremendously to realise that we have a virtually
universal web application language (JS) on billions of web enabled
machines, running inside a web browser, yet it doesn't have access to
the web - (???!!) I've published my data publicly, why has it been
dictated that in the context of JS only, where it's needed most, it's
not public?

It troubles me even more to realise I'm just one little voice that will
have ~0 impact on such a huge issue - and am probably wasting char's.

Best,

Nathan