Re: FileReader question about ProgressEvent

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Jian Li <jianli@chromium.org> wrote:
> According to the spec, we will dispatch a progress event for a read method.
> But per the "Progress Events 1.0" spec, the attributes "loaded" and "total"
> are defined  as "unsigned long".
>    interface ProgressEvent : events::Event {
>         readonly attribute unsigned long   loaded;
>         readonly attribute unsigned long   total;
> The type "unsigned long" is not enough to represent the file size. Do we
> want to update the Progress Event spec to use "unsigned long long"? Or we
> could limit the FileReader to only read from the file with size less than
> MAX_UINT.

I think the progress events spec needs to be amended here yes. Though
one complication is that ECMAScript can't represent all values of a
unsigned long long.

Ideally webidl would define an integer type with 53 bits (which iirc
is the largest size you can precisely represent in an ECMAScript
value).

/ Jonas