Re: [IndexedDB] Granting storage quotas

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Nikunj Mehta <nikunj@o-micron.com> wrote:

> As I see it, there's no such thing as "permanent" storage for Web browser
> managed data. Even if a site expresses preferences that it would like to
> keep its data resident for a long time, there cannot be a "guarantee" for
> the data to be there permanently. If applications are bound to have to deal
> with data disappearing while they are not running, we should not need to
> spec browser behavior around the notion of purgeable or permanent.

I see a difference between a cached version of a picture you've downloaded
vs a new picture taken while on vacation by a camera built into the device
and placed into a local repository managed by the user-agent. There is only
one copy of that picture in the world.

I'm looking for ways to make these storage APIs widely available w/o a lot
of user-prompting, but also for ways for webapps to express stronger
guarantees when needed. I think the notion of purgeable vs permanent may
help reconcile these conflicting goals.