Re: [widgets] test suite, the width/height attribute

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:49:04 +0100
To: cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Cyril Concolato <cyril.concolato@enst.fr> wrote:
> Dear Widgets-experts,
>
> While checking some of the tests, I found some unclear processing with
> regards to the width and height attribute of widget element. The spec says:
>
> "If the width attribute is used, then let normalized width be the result of
> applying the rule for parsing a non-negative integer to the value of the
> attribute. If the normalized width is not in error  and greater than 0, then
> let widget width be the value of normalized width. If the width attribute is
> in error, then the user agent must ignore the attribute."
>
> It explicitely says "greater than 0" which means that 0 should not be
> allowed, but the test suite says for c9.wgt that the result should be 0.

Argh. Right.

> This seems inconsistent. On top of that, the spec seems to make the
> distinction between 'null' (when in error) and '0' (not specified). From an
> implementation point of view, I would prefer two cases:
> - specified, not in error, greater than 0, width = the specified value
> - in error or not specified, width = null, empty or 0.
> Actually, I would prefer 0 since then the attribute can be implemented as an
> integer not as a string.
>
> What do you think ?

Given that a number of UAs have implemented support for getting back
the value "0", I think we should just say "greater than or equal to
0".

So:

<widget width/height=""> = Error. value remains null.

<widget width/height="             "> = Error, value remains null.

<widget width/height="abc"> returns 0, value is 0.

<widget width/height="100abc"> returns 100, value is 100.

<widget width/height="000100abc"> returns 100, value is 100.

However, I'm open to just saying return 0 upon error.

More thoughts on this are welcomed from interested parties.

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au